Recent Water Damage Posts
IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The?IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These?IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Marina/North Salinas
SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Kitchen Water Damage
Every minute counts when you're faced with a flood or water leak in the kitchen, so having a plan is critical.
In a worst-case scenario, homeowners will need to shut off the main water supply line to the home before addressing the broken appliance or busted pipe directly.?
There are two types of valves: the main valve, which stops water flow to the entire home; and supply valves that connect to specific appliances. Look for the main water valve and turn it off clockwise to stop the flow. (Note: if the valve is a lever, turn the handle perpendicular to the water line.)
Some homes have a supply valve located near the water line of the appliance. If this is easier to get to at first, turn it off; however, the main line should still be turned off.
Once the water valve has been shut off, call SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula. We are faster to any disaster. Our highly trained technicians will arrive onsite and make it look "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula has been getting rid of unwanted water in the Monterey and San Benito County for years.? We know, from personal experience, that a water damage can be scary & stressful.? We also know that you may want to clean up the water yourself, but then find that you start smelling odors mere days later.? There is a science behind drying and as an active IICRC firm, we have the knowledge, expertise, and experience to help clean up your property before further damage occurs.? Floods are never expected and can happen day or night, so it is important to keep our number handy.? We recommend saving it into your phone, so when a pipe bursts or a washing machine suddenly malfunctions, you can quickly reach us.?
Here to help whenever YOU need us!
Types of Water Damage
In the restoration industry the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (or IICRC) is the organization which sets the restoration industries standards and practices. It is the IICRC’s standards that we follow to ensure every water mitigation and remediation job we tackle is done correctly. When it comes to the sanitary level of water there are three levels:?
- Category 1:?Clean and Sanitary. Typically comes from a sanitary source such as faucet, toilet tanks, drinking fountains, or water heaters.
- Category 2:?Grey Water which can cause illness or discomfort if ingested. Typical sources are dish washers, washing machine overflows, flush from sink drains, or toilet overflows with urine (no feces)
- Category 3:?Black Water is grossly unsanitary which could cause severe illness or death if ingested. This includes sewer backups, flooding from rivers or streams, toilet overflow with feces, and stagnant liquid which has supported microbial growth.
These categories are also time dependent so a flood caused by a drinking fountain (Category 1 clean water) will become contaminated category 2 water after 48 hours. Another 24 hours after that it becomes a category 3 loss. This change in category means a tremendous difference in the scope of work, cost of remediation, and time of job.
Water Damage Timeline
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.?Our management team has over 35 years of combined experience in the restoration industry.?
You can end up with serious health issues due to biohazards if Sewage clean-up is not conducted quickly and efficiently on your property after a spill. Sewage spills can occur from public sewer line failures, overfilled septic tanks, toilet blockages, water spills near Sewage lines, damage to sewer pipes and various other reasons. Sometimes you don’t see the spill but pick up that there is an issue due to bad smells coming from your toilets and drains, toilets overflowing, smelly water near Sewage lines, areas of water damage near your property foundations and slow drainage. When Sewage damage occurs, it is important to get professional help as soon as possible. The cause of the Sewage issue will need to be repaired or corrected as soon as possible and then the detritus removed. If left untreated, your family could be infected with serious diseases such as Hepatitis A, salmonella, round worm, tapeworm, HPV, Norwalk virus, roto-viruses, gastrointestinal diseases, infections by Giardia and Cryptosporidium and various other sicknesses. People that have a vulnerable immune are especially susceptible to these disease-causing germs, so it is best to get SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula to clean up the mess.
SERVPRO of Monterey Peninsula specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.?Our management team has over 35 years of combined experience in the restoration industry.?